Students will be introduced to drawings and paintings made by great artists. The course will include explanations of the anatomy and proportions of the face with practice doing preparatory sketches of faces. For the advanced students the sketches will be followed by one study of a chosen subject. The drawings (sketches, studies or interpretations) will be made using copies of artist’s sketches and photos. The variety of shapes and volumes will be also observed from anthropology studies. The student is expected to not limit the experience to the exercises in class, but to also draw at home.
The drawings will be done on A3 paper and the technique will be dictated by the student’s skill level and choice: pencil, charcoal or ink.
The oil painting will be preceded by a drawing on paper.
There will be a lot of sketches, one or more on each sheet of paper. It will be used a lot of paper (the limits of the paper will have to be observed). For the advanced students, the sketches will be followed by a study of a chosen image that can be realized in pencil or charcoal. Caricatural drawings can be also included as a short time “game” for the beginners or as study (copy or original work) for the advanced (that will also include an approach to examples from art history).
Tools and Materials
1. For Drawing:
- Paper (sketchbook): size A3
- Clip pad A3
- Folder for papers and drawings
- Soft pencils and graphite (B-9B)
- Natural charcoal
- soft pastels
- Erasers: Cretacolor Caramel, soft white Cretacolor Monolith, vinyl, kneaded
- Masking tape (thin roll)
- Soft cotton cloth (for charcoal)
2. For oil painting:
- Wooden box with wooden palette
- Palette knife
- 2 metal recipients for turpentine and oil
- 1 bottle turpentine
- 1 bottle linseed oil
- Soft cotton cloth
- Bristle brushes – flat ones – 3 sizes (small, medium and big – not bigger than 1 inch)
- Synthetic brushes – flat ones – 3 sizes (small, medium and big – not bigger than 1 inch)
- Vermilion or Cadmium Red
- Crimson or Alizarin or Alizarin-Crimson
- Lemon Yellow
- Cadmium yellow
- Prussian Blue
- Ocher Yellow
- Burnt Siena
- Burnt Umber
- White (x 2)
Terms and Conditions
1. Pre-registration is required for all classes and payments to be made in advance.
2. Students must attend classes they have registered for and paid for.
3. Makeup classes are provided and refunds are issued only if the art center cancels any lessons.