This course is for intermediate and advanced watercolorists. We will learn to simplify an image into exciting abstract shapes and colours. Work on improving composition. Practice glazing to get depth and mystery.
Week 1: Contour drawing/painting (figures, flowers)
Week 2: Underpainting with gesso texture
Week 3: Monoprinting
Week 4: Develop and artwork negatively
Week 5: Abstracted landscape/figures with water pigment effects.
Week 6: Underpainting with handmade paper texture
Week 7: Compose using organic & geometric shapes
Week 8: Work on unfinished pieces & start a new one if time permits.
Each week we will get started with the foil exercises to loosen/free up –
1) We will work on a black/white copy of the image to work out the shapes or feel the shapes with charcoal, Indian Ink or cut out shapes.
2) Doodle around with water and pigments to get interesting positive & negative shapes.
3) There will be a demo before you get started.
1 Pad of Sketching Paper
1 Pad Watercolour Paper 140 lbs/300 gsm, A3 (10inch x 7 inch/25.5 x 18cm)
Board (wooden/plexiglass) – size: half sheet 38x56cm (or slightly bigger than the size of your paper)
A white butchers plate or palette with large wells
Synthetic/Natural Hair Brushes: No.7 Round Brush, No.10 Round Brush, 1/2inch Flat Brush, No.2 Rigger Sable
1 pencil (2B), 1 Soft Putty Rubber
Indian Ink, Willow Charcoal Sticks, thick graphite sticks
Cotton rag, Tissues, Household Sponge, and two jars to use as water containers
Paints in Tubes (preferably): Alizarin Crimson(cool red), Cadmium Red(warm red), French Ultramarine(cool blue), Cobalt Blue(warm blue), Cadmium Yellow(cool yellow), Yellow Ochre(warm yellow), Burnt Sienna(earth colour), Burnt Umber(earth colour), Paynes Grey, Sap Green (suggested brands: Winsor&Newton, Schminke, VanGogh, Rembrandt, Camlin, Russian-White Nights).
Terms and Conditions
1. Pre-registration is required for all classes and payments to be made in advance.
2. Students must attend classes they have registered for and paid for.
3. Makeup classes are provided and refunds are issued only if the art center cancels any lessons.